Hi Robert,
        and many thanks for your reply!

Let me answer on behalf on Michal - we are co-workes and Michal has left to vacations for couple of days ;-)

Robert Banz wrote:

First, upgrade your fileserver an actual "production" release, such as 1.4.1. 1.3.81 was pretty good, but, not without problems. (1.4.1 is not without problems, but with less.)

We are thinking of that as a one (last) of possibility, but we are running tens of linux (Debian/stable) servers (not only AFS) as a part of our distributed computing environment and we are trying to keep our server configuration as close as possible to stable dist. And short summary: we don't have any significant AFS problems with same configuration for 1+years...

Second, when your server goes into a this state, does it come out of it naturally or do you have to restart it?

Actually, this state can "freeze" many of our users and services (even if affected server servers RO replicas only... and yes, I really don't understand this behavior...) and FS is unable to return to "normal" state at reasonable time (actually / reasonable time is pretty small for us/our users...). So, we are trying to "solve" our current problems with fs restart. :-(

(
As you can see from original post, FS is still alive, but has no idle threads. Waiting connections (clients) oscillate around 200 and "probably" could be serve in tens of minutes...
)

Thanks again for your reply and suggestions!!

Lubos Kejzlar
Head of Laboratory for Computer Science

Center for Information Technology              Tel.:      +420-377 632 710
University of West Bohemia                                +420-724 094 277
Univerzitni 8, 306 14 Pilsen                   Fax:       +420-377 632 702
Czech Republic                                 E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]