On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Mr Budzynowski wrote:

How and when does the cache manager assign ranks to file servers?

Based on classful subnetting (regardless of whether you use it) when it encounters them.

Specifically, does it take the connection speed into account?

No.

For instance, if an afs cell were to be split across two sites and connected via the internet (by a VPN, say), would clients preferentially take volumes from servers on the local network because their files can be retrieved faster?

No. It should but does not currently do so.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether, if some servers are connected via a slower line but still fully functional, one would need to make manual adjustments to the rankings

Yes.

On a related note, when a RW volume is released, can the RO copies get it off each other? (For instance, RW copy at one site and two RO copies

No.

Derrick