On 2014-01-17, at 16:43, Coy Hile <coy.h...@coyhile.com> wrote:

>> I have a perl script from 2005 that could do this - but only for pure r/w
>> volumes. If there's a backup or readonly clone on the same partition, it
>> will probably fail miserably. It's not polished, may have to be adapted to
>> current perl versions etc. And I think it recovered nothing but the file
>> content and the path, not mode/owner/ACLs...
>>
>> Setting up a server is certainly the better option and may well be easier
>> and faster. But if you're desperate enough, let me know.
>
> along not completely dissimilar lines…
>
> I’ve currently got a bunch of old data (couple hundred gigs maybe) from vos
> dump that I’d like to be able to examine to see exactly what’s there anymore.
> Right now, my personal cell lives on a couple VMs out in various public
> clouds, and I haven’t got around to standing up a fileserver inside the
> firewall yet.
>
> is there a tool (preferably stand-alone) that I could run on those old dumps
> to copy the data out of them into a local directory on, say, my mac.  Then I
> can copy whatever of it I want to keep back into AFS later.

afsdump_scan and afsdump_extract are part of the OpenAFS source tree but not
built by default. They build fine (there are make targets for them) and
basically work. There's an improved version by jhutz in
/afs/grand.central.org/software/dumpscan/dumpscan-1.2.tar.gz that was more
difficult to build IIRC.

        Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand