On 12/12/2016 10:26 AM, Jean-Marc Choulet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At work, we have only one dbserver in version 1.6.1 (Debian 6). We want
> to add another dbserver but in a different version : v1.6.9 (Debian 8).
> Is it possible without upgrade the first dbserver ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean-Marc.

There is little benefit to adding a second DB server unless you are also
adding a third.  In a two server scenario, the server with the lowest IP
(because of the extra 1/2 vote) can elect itself coordinator (sync site)
and the other server never can.  Failure of the only server that can
become the coordinator results in an outage.  A minimum of three DB
servers is required to provide redundancy.

While it is possible to continue operating the 1.6.1 (Debian 6) DB
servers as part of a ubik quorum.  You should do so with the utmost
care.  Over the last two years several critical bugs in the ubik
protocol implementation have been fixed which can result in corrupted
databases.  Some of the scenarios result in empty databases being
replicated to all servers.  The safest path is to upgrade the existing
database server to OpenAFS 1.6.20 before increasing the size of the quorum.

Jeffrey Altman