Hello,

I 've decided (again) to take the plunge and attempt to create a build
bot slave for OpenAFS on Windows platform. We use OpenAFS on our Windows
PC labs and would like to continue to do so.

I have been following the guide found here:
http://git.openafs.org/?p=openafs.git;a=blob;f=README-WINDOWS;h=4f9af252f51677dd49e32c4af4411bd96eed53c9;hb=HEAD

The guide itself admits it might be a bit outdated at it really is...

First things first, it is stated that only VS 2005 or 2008 is supported.
The earliest VS I can have a valid license for is 2012. And that license
would be through our University's Microsoft Imagine (ex Dreamspark)
subscription. As I believe the binaries produced on a buildbot aren't
the actual ones distributed I suppose a license can be used for this
purpose. If not, I hope somebody can give some more insight on this.

But since, VS 2012 is a big step forward, for the time being I settled
for the 90day trial of VS2008 I found available for download from MS.
According to the guide, Secure Endpoints Inc were building distributed
binaries using VS2008.

I decided to target an AMD64 build on Windows 7 x64 for starters. Soon I
found out that NTbuild.bat alters PATH and the equivalent of Windows
LIBPATH. Specifically, these lines

set AFSDEV_LIB=%MSSDKDIR%\lib;%MSVCDIR%\lib;
set AFSDEV_BIN=%MSSDKDIR%\bin;%MSVCDIR%\bin;%PERL%\bin;%CYGWINDIR%\bin;%WIX%

cause the 32bit flavors of VS compiler and libraries to be used, even if
an AMD64 build is requested according to the guide linked above.

The correct settings should be:

set AFSDEV_LIB=%MSSDKDIR%\lib\x64;%MSVCDIR%\lib\amd64;
set
AFSDEV_BIN=%MSSDKDIR%\bin;%MSVCDIR%\bin\amd64;%PERL%\bin;%CYGWINDIR%\bin;%WIX%

With that out of the way, the build continues up until Microsoft IDN
APIs headers are required. For the life of me I couldn't locate any
place where this is available. All Google links I found are a dead-end.
Is there anybody who has a source for IDN APIs 1.1 ?

And then the next problem is that apparently WiX 2.0.5805.0 will not
recognize VS2008 Professional and refuse to install. Some digging around
revealed forum posts stating that WiX 2.0 is too old to support VS2008.
But then the guide states that all newer versions WiX are a no-no...
which leads to a chicken and egg situation...

Does anybody have any knowledge of what version of WiX did Secure
Endpoints used in their builds, provided the information that they had
been using VS2008 is correct?

Thanks for reading so far down!

-K.