Hello,

We have one cell covering two sites. The WAN bandwidth between the two sites is
relatively low, so we use volume replication to speed up the access.

Those replicated volumes are often large in size. So replication to the remote
site is an operation whose cost cannot be neglected.

Now with RW volumes at site A and their RO replication on servers at site B, we
want to bring up a new file server at site B to balance the load. In other
words we would like to "offload" a majority of the RO volumes from one server
to a different server at Site B, without touching their RW masters at Site A.

The standard way to do this is through "vos addsite" and "vos release" to
create new RO copies on the new server at site B. When we try this it seems
that the "vos release" always initiates a fresh full volume of data transfer
from the RW servers at site A to the new server at site B, even though there
are RO copies at site B on other servers.

I wonder if there is a way to directly transfer those RO volumes btw servers at
site B, without breaking the data integrity among the RO sites or affecting the
atomicity of "vos release".

Or maybe a more greedy way to ask the question is: Is it possible to make the
data transfer part of "vos release" smarter, by allowing it to select the
closest path to copy data btw file servers, according to a network distance
either detected by itself, or provided by the administrator? For example, once
it is found that no change has been made to the RW volume since the last
release, a "vos release" to a new site will search all the RO copies in the
VLDB, find the closest RO site to the new server, and initiate data transfer
from there, instead of from the RW site? Even if the RW volume has been
changed, maybe it would still be much cheaper to copy the existing RO volume
from a closest site first, and then broadcast the incremental changes from the
RW site?

Thanks.

Ximeng (Simon) Guan

Royole Corporation