> On Mar 8, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.crac...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 9:30 PM Mark Vitale <mvit...@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>> But now on more careful reading, I see this only applies when -dcache has
>> not been explicitly specified.
>> (Which, to be fair, is the normal case).
>
> Thanks for the insight.
>

>>> (I'm struggling to get AFS to go over the 50MB/s, i.e. half a GigaBit,
>>> bandwidth...  My target is to saturate a full GigaBit link...)
>>
>> Here are some helpful commands for examining the results of your
>> configuration experiments:
>>
>> cmdebug <client> -cache
>> fs getcacheparms -excessive
>
> Perhaps you know:  what is the maximum bandwidth that one has achieved
> with OpenAFS?  (Not a "record" but in the sense "usually in enterprise
> deployments we see zzz MB/s".)

I think this may be a question like "how long is a piece of string?".
The answer is "it depends".  Could you be more specific about your use cases,
and what you are seeing (or need to see) in terms of OpenAFS performance?

> (I think my issue is with the file-server not the cache-manager...)

It is easy to get bottlenecks on both.  One way to help characterize this
is to use some of the OpenAFS test programs and see how they perform against
your fileservers:
- afscp  (tests/afscp)
- afsio  (src/venus/afsio)

There is also the test server/client pair for checking raw rx network
throughput:
- rxperf  (src/tools/rxperf)

Regards,
--