Dear Open Babel Developers,

I am Ibrahim Roshan, a developer at EMBL-EBI maintaining the protein-ligand interaction pipeline. Open Babel is one of the main component of our interaction pipeline and we have been using the 2.4.1 version so far. We recently made an update to Open Babel 3. However, for so many protein entires the below warning was observed.

*** Open Babel Warning  in PerceiveBondOrders
  Failed to kekulize aromatic bonds in OBMol::PerceiveBondOrders

Moreover, the interactions calculated using Open Babel 3 and 2.4.1 are not the same for the same protein.The same issue was reported by the developer, Lukas who was working on the pipeline earlier. I found communication between him and O` Neil here <https://sourceforge.net/p/openbabel/mailman/openbabel-discuss/thread/a9e7f432-e248-4ae4-a289-aa8ba93a8...@ebi.ac.uk/>

I would like to know if you have any plans to update the PDB structure perception in version 3 as same as in version 2.4.1. It would be really helpful if you could do that as we are planning to open-source our interaction pipeline and most of the users are now using Open Babel 3. If there is something that I can do to make PDB structure perception method same as in 2.4.1 version, please kindly let me know. Looking forward to your reply

Thanks,
IBRAHIM ROSHAN
Bioinformatician,
EMBL-EBI