Hi,

when checking certificates you always have to take two steps:
- A CRL or OCSP only tells you if the certificate you got from someone
is not listed as revoked
- by decrypting the signature of the certificate with the public key
of the CA you can check if this certificate was really created by the
CA or not

Only checking with OCSP if this certificate was created or not would
mean that you have to distribute huge lists with all certificates ever
created by a CA to all OCSP responders ...

Kind regards,
Matthias