Adrian: Lets get this project moving again (or visibly
moving anyway...

Alain: The collaboration infrastructure will be quite
visible and, more importantly, it will scaffold our
efforts and discussions.

Adrian: ...there's probably work being done on the
code that I know nothing about).

Alain: That is what I surmise as well. My guess is
that some of our members are working privately until
such time that their product is clearly recognized as
their own (e.g. not the product of a collective
effort), to avoid debates and so on.

Adrian: I'm running a developer seed of OS 9 and Quid
Pro Quo and it works just fine and dandy for me. I
guess we'll just have to try it and see with OS 8.6.

Alain: Is Quid Pro Quo better than NetPresenz?

Alain: Are you saying that you have created
HyperCard-based CGI programs that operate well with
MacOS9? Was it an OS problem that Apple fixed? What
version of HyperCard are you using?

Adrian: It should now be uploaded.  It is in .bin
format as I am having problems with StuffIt and can't
create .sit files or .hqx files. I'll work on that.

Alain: Yeah, Aladdin really screwed up lately. Newer
version archives not open-able with the older version,
and vice-versa. I believe they have fixed it since
because we no longer have any trouble at all with our
compression/expansion software.

Adrian: Oh, another apology, to those with small
screens, I'm afraid you're in for a fair bit of
scrolling, the stack is 640 wide but some 600-700
high, so you'll need more than 640x480 resolution to
view it.

Alain: Most developers have larger screen (I guess).
How else can someone develop with several programs
running at the same time, each one of these programs
with a whole slate of palettes and such? I recently
"beheaded" my other server so as to install its screen
on the server that already had one. TWO screens is
really fun!

Adrian: I just couldn't find a way to fit all the
information into a smaller space.

Alain: Huummmmm!

Adrian: I'll probably fix this in an update sometime
but it wasn't really a priority for the first release.

Alain: Understandable.

Adrian:  I guess that is a good point, where do we go
from here?  I'd like to hear your ideas.

Alain: Next post.

Adrian: Obviously we keep working on the interpreter

Alain: If Anthony and Andre and others still wish to.

Adrian: ...organise with MetaCard to get licences ...

Alain: Scott Raney's conditions were (1) we work out
the licencing issue, and (2) we establish some kind of
organisational structure. Both are politically loaded.

Adrian: ... so we can start work on the UI ...

Alain: That's what me and Scott are waiting for.
Others too, no doubt. The Interpreter and all of that
low-level stuff is just not my cup of tea. I am quite
glad that other people are taking care of the
"plumbing" for us, which of course we cannot do
without.

Adrian: It's quite obvious that there are no
objections to making OpenCard public domain, so that's
the licence we're releasing under.

Alain: I have been lurking from afar for some time
now. Is that really the consensus at this time? Is it
our best option? I thought that your voting CGI was
created for the purpose of deciding this issue (and
other issues later on).

> Alain: This time, however, I am not going to wait
for
> everything to be complete and perfect before
> releasing it. Instead, I am going to release it
> modularly and (sometimes) imperfectly with the
> expectation that our members will be patient,
> understanding and cooperative. So what's the first
> thing that we need after Adrian's Voting CGI?

> Adrian: This I'm not sure about.

Alain: Nor am I, but it would encourage and motivate
our members because there would be steady visible
progress. Besides, we are a research and development
group, aren't we?

Adrian: What is it that is slowing down progress on
OpenCard most now? (other than Lack Of Time).

Alain: Infrastructure. We need to be able to ascertain
what has been done, what direction we are heading in,
what needs to get done, who is working on what, etc.
Otherwise, the perception that emerges is that nothing
is ever decided, nothing gets done, and that we are
running around in circles.