>Alain: I expected that this would be the case. But
>perhaps it is not so much Java that is interesting, as
>it is its underlying concepts e.g. the Virtual Machine
>that can run anywhere securely. Would it be possible
>to implement these concepts into OpenKard, without a
>single drop of Java? Does such an idea appeal to the
>programmers of our group?

Alain,

 this is unnecessary. The VM would be much to generic for our needs. We
have already decided that we'll encapsulate OS-specific stuff, which will
make porting a matter of re-coding half a dozen of fundamental classes and
the rest accesses these classes and will thus work without changes.

 Since a cross-platform HyperTalk would be a VM in its own right, we would
become even slower than Java if we added another VM underneath that.

Cheers,
-- M. Uli Kusterer

             http://www.weblayout.com/witness
       'The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...'

--- HELP SAVE HYPERCARD: ---
Details at: http://www.hyperactivesw.com/SaveHC.html
Sign: http://www.giguere.uqam.ca/petition/hcpetition.html