Alain: We may want to put restrictions on the uses of
OpenKard and its derivatives, though. For example, do
we allow a company to make just enough modifications
to our source code (e.g. a fork) and scoop our entire
effort, and make a bundle with it?

Uli: I do not want someone to rip us off by just
copying the sources and selling them as their own
product.

Alain: It is not so much the resale of OpenKard
without adding value that is at issue here, Uli. It is
cheesy, in my opinion, but we will allow that. One
hopes of course that they will at least attempt to add
something more to their offer instead of just the
convenience of not downloading the Standard
Distribution via the Web.

Alain: To sell it as their own product, the person or
company would have to make some non-cosmetic changes
or additions to our source code. We call that a fork.
So here is the main issue in my view: Should we allow
forks to go commercial or, instead, stipulate that our
open licence applies to forks/derivatives too .. like
some of the licences that we have discussed.
Otherwise, a large company can come on-board, fork,
and make a fortune with our work, in the form of
PROPRIETARY software.

Uli: But I would rather see this happen than have
OpenCard become a closed property.

Alain: This is precisely what is at issue. Will
OpenKard derivatives remain open or do we allow some
of them to become proprietary.

Uli: That is, my main objective is creating a program
everyone can add to, everyone can build on, and that
everyone can use to create their own projects, ideally
like Myst, but also application programs, not only
games.

Alain: Nice vision.

Uli: Secondary to that is whether someone makes money
without adding their own thing, be it a stack built
with OC or a program based partially or in greater
part on OC's sources.

Alain: And whether OpenKard forks will remain open
too.

Uli: If the latter has to happen to make the former
possible I don't mind.

Alain: My slightly paranoid delusion is that a large
company that is financed to the hilt could easily wait
until we got something interesting, come on-board,
fork immediately, make their version proprietary, and
sink a lot of money to get a substantial lead on us.
We'd be left in the dust!  :(

=====