> Eric: I sent copies of a prototype gui
> to alain, uli, and mr.DeRobertis.
> Did you receive them?

Alain: Yes.

> Eric: Did they decompress ok?

Alain: Yes.

http://ufp.uqam.ca/opencard/Downloads/Eric-GUI.sit.hqx

> Eric: Am also hoping for comments on them.

Alain: The file "Button Ideas.mc" contains one button
that I like a lot. The file entitled
"buttons_-_navigational_arrows.m" contained a
round-rect button and two star-like icons, one with a
border, one without. The one with the border is
definitely better, unless the bkgnd color of the page
is the same color as the bkgnd color of the icon. The
file "button ideas 3.mc" is a mystery to me, as were a
few other files that only seem to contain a few choppy
sentences of a technical nature. I must be missing
something. The cursor-like button in the file "more
button ideas.mc" is nice though.

> As far as the gui goes, i can definitely script a
> new menubar and change the existing dialogs - even
the
> properties box.

Alain: I am beginning to understand why MetaCard is
getting such a bruising when it comes to its GUI.

> Eric: Who is interested in the GUI? Anyone? If not,
> that is cool, i really can handle it (pun intended:)

Alain: Despite the fact that it is the scripting that
is my favorite feature of HyperCard/FreeCard, it is
the quality of our GUI that will make-or-break us.
Case in point: MetaCard.

> Eric: but if people want to work on this let me
know.
> Course if you want to focus on the programming in C
> and Pascal that's ok. Point is division of labor.

Alain: This is the crux of the problem. One person can
only do so much. I have much to contribute to the
FreeCard GUI and to the FreeCard scripting-language
(FreeScript) - eventually - but for now the aspects
related to the collaboration are consuming all of my
spare time.

> Eric: Please let me know ... if anyone else wants to
> do GUI stuff.

Alain: I sincerely hope several of our members
volunteer to do so. I cannot at this time, but I will
endeavour to free up some time to do so in the near
future.

> Regarding partnership - an unincorporated
association
> is a valid option. I'm indifferent. The reasons for
> forming a partnership are to negotiate with metacard

> and to have a uniform licensing agreement. That can
be
> worked around however so either form of non-business

> would work.

Alain: That's good to hear. Adrian and me are going to
work on the voting/polling system to make it even
better than last time, before we call for a vote on
the legal form of our association, and on our
licencing scheme too. For the latter, I believe that
the consensus is a licence that is mainly
Public-Domain but with some GPL-like provisions to
insure that forks remain open source.

> Eric: Do let me know about the gui
> so i can continue working.

Alain: Sorry I took so long to respond, Eric.

> your faithful servant
> eric engle

Alain: And I, yours.