>Hi everybody,
>
>I've been playing with DX for a few days but I am still confused with
>the ASCII file format required by DX. For example, I don't how to
>organize my data if I want to use a 'Scattered Grid'
>with the positions of the points into the files. I thought it would be :
>
>X Y Z 'Scalar Value'
>.
>.
>.
>repeated n times till EOF, but it is not. The different manuals are
>missing some simple ASCII examples.
>
>I also don't know how to format my files if I want to visualize a set of
>3D-vectors using glyphs.
>
>It is possible to get some help ?
>
>Jerome Margat

X Y Z Scalar is correct.
You must then specify that X Y Z are to be treated as a field called
"locations" which is type 3-vector float. It is annoying but historical
that here and only here do you use the keyword "locations", whereas
everywhere else in DX-land they are called "positions", and in fact, after
successfully importing this data, the "locations" will magically become the
"positions".

If you use the Data Prompter, specify Positions in data file (or something
like that) on the main widget that comes up first.

Very similarly, then, create a data file
X Y Z u v w

then specify X Y Z as 3-vector float "locations" and u v w as 3-vector
float "vector data" (you can call this whatever you want).

When you import this, the base of the glyphs will be the locations and the
vectors will specify to Glyph or Autoglyph their direction and magnitude.
It's a 3-module net once you've got the import working:
Import-Autoglyph-Image.

Same net works for the scalar data but draws spheres instead of arrows.

Chris Pelkie
Vice President/Scientific Visualization Producer
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
[EMAIL PROTECTED]