>I used a Pick to draw 2-D stream line, but it didn't work. Pick returns 3-D
>point (x, y, z), and my 2-D stream line only requires (x, y). I used Compute
>to extract only (x, y), but it still didn't work. What's the problem?
>Thanks.
>
>yuzhong

Compute does convert a 3-vector [a.x, a.y, a.z] to 2-vector with an
expression like:
[a.x, a.y]

but it isn't accurate to say it extracts the vector. More precisely that
implies to me that you extract a vector object (array) out of the field
component in which the vector is embedded (the Pick structure). In fact,
Compute does not do this. To put it another way, if the field had a data
component with 100 3-vectors, and you passed it through the above Compute
you'd get out a field with a data component that had 100 2-vectors.

If you read the help carefully for Streamline, it accepts a bare list
(array) of vectors, including a single vector, or a geometric field. That
means that it would use the "positions", not the "data" of the supplied
field.

Try simply entering (typing directly into the configuration dialog box) a
2-vector value as the "starting point" for Streamline, giving it a known
good start value for your vector field and check that that works. Remember
that this must be a single vector or list of vectors, not a field of
vectors. Furthermore, the vector field you are trying to make a streamline
through must have the same dimensionality as the space in which it is
embedded.

If you have a field of vectors that you want to be starting points, use
Extract to get the vector component out of the field. This is an "array"
that can be piped to Streamline start. Optionally, use Select(array, index)
where array is the thing you just Extracted, and index is a 0-based index
into that array (only 1D). This should return a single vector which can be
piped to Streamline start.

If that doesn't work, check to see that the Streamline settings haven't
been changed in some way that cause the streamline to terminate immediately
(or shoot out of the domain immediately).

Chris Pelkie
Vice President/Scientific Visualization Producer
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
[EMAIL PROTECTED]