Hey, it works! (As far as I've tested it). Again, I'm on NT 4 (SP6), Dell
410, with Intergraph card.

Suhaib was right: we really had to get the latest greatest Exceed and
Exceed 3D including all patches and we did a complete uninstall, reinstall
to be on the safe side.

Now, there are a couple things about installing it that the README leaves
to the imagination of NT newbies, probably old hat to hardcore Microsofties.

To wit:
That mystery file called
Opendx/bin/Exceed/user/ExceedXDKRegistrySettings.reg actually has to be
modified, then run. This is not mentioned in the README which simply says
to drag all the Opendx/bin/Exceed/user files to one's Exceed/user directory.

We had to hack it slightly to change paths of our actual Exceed
installation, then of course run it (with sysadmin privileges) to update
the registry. BTW, on our systems, the install directory is called
Exceed.nt.

I still can't figure out why the X11/bitmaps are needed for DX but I
dutifully put them where they go. Where they go is also not totally evident
if one reads the README and follows the instructions exactly. What Suhaib
means, I'm now sure, is that one copies or moves the directory called
Opendx/bin/Exceed/xdk/include/x11/bitmaps to one's Exceed/xdk/include/x11
directory (I find a directory called Glw already there).

There is something I still don't understand. There is a file called
usCaps2Ctrl.kbf in the Opendx zip that purportedly goes to Exceed/user
directory. I don't know how this is invoked: experimentally trying to open
it with Exceed's keyboard configuration dialog yielded the error that
"Cap2Ctrl.kbt" could not be found. This is line 2 of the usCaps2Ctrl.kbf
file. Any ideas? I haven't figured out what this does vis-a-vis DX, yet.

OK, all that stuff installed, registry updated, rebooted for the hell of
it, and launched OpenDX 4.1.1 on NT. Fired up some samples, then got down
to business and opened a 157x167x80 volume (lung cancer CT scan data) and
rendered a 191K triangle isosurface and a 355K polygon ShowBoundary around
an Included subset of the volumetric data and waggled them around in
hardware rendering in "real" time (just like being there).

Lots more to test and try (haven't tried the ImageMagick stuff yet and
that's going to be important).

Cool!

Thanks Suhaib! and Greg!

P.S. I also discovered an interesting problem that has nothing to do with
the NT build cause I've seen it on Irix as well: I'll report that
separately so as not to detract from the present euphoria. (:-)

P.P.S The khaki modules are definitely going to make me hurl. Anyone know
where the UI gets its colors from? Can this be changed by end users or does
it have to be recompiled pointing to a different Xrdb?

Chris Pelkie
Vice President/Scientific Visualization Producer
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
[EMAIL PROTECTED]