>Hi!
>
>Has anyone created a module/macro for directly writing images
>to a mjpeg or mpeg video stream? Or do you just write a set
>of images and create a video out of them later?
>
>Richard.

I've been doing the latter for years. However, now that ImageMagick is
"built-in" you could use MIFF format to write a multi-image file, then
postprocess it with convert to some other formats. Not sure if IM has an
mpeg converter or not. Both mjpeg and mpeg require knowledge of upcoming
frames, so you need to already have the frames to do the compression
analysis, thus, DX is not probably the best place to try to do it (you'd
have to make all the frames and buffer them anyway).

Frankly, I use Adobe After Effects on the Mac for post-production of
multiple numbered tiffs, then if I need real video, I dump the AE output
movie into Media 100 to go to tape. Much more control; frightfully
expensive. Or you could use Debabelizer or Cleaner (was Media Cleaner Pro)
to get the best compression: both are available for Mac and PC. Not open
source, but then you gotta do what ya gotta do to make the clients happy.

Chris Pelkie
Vice President/Scientific Visualization Producer
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
[EMAIL PROTECTED]