I have written a small inboard module, getTime, that returns the
current system clock, using the gettimeofday() call. The module
is marked as having side effects, so it is called on
every execution, as expected.

The problem is the downstream Compute. I want to use the
time of day as a random number seed. Even though the
time value is changing, the Compute is *not* being reexecuted,
so I'm getting the same random numbers every time.

The following also shows the problem. In this net, the first value
printed by Echo changes each time, but the second remains fixed.

        [getTime]

         +--+-+
         |    |
         |  [Compute("a")]
         |    |
         [Echo]

I can force the Compute to execute by setting the output caching
to "No results", but I thought that wouldn't be necessary here?

I have verified this behavior in verions 4.3.2 and 4.2.0, both
on Solaris 8.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Joel

Joel Richardson, Ph.D.          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Jackson Laboratory          Phone:  (207) 288-6435
600 Main Street                 Fax:    (207) 288-6132
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609         URL:    www.informatics.jax.org