What is a .general file? I know how to edit and create .net files
using the VPE, but I am unfamiliar with these .general files. What are
they? How do I use them?

As you wrote that you played with DX, I presume that you have tried some examples. In those, the Import module usually has a filename given as input to indicate where the data to be visualized resides. If your data is not in a format that DX understands 'naturally', you need to create a second file that refers to your actual data file and describes it.

".general" stands for "General Array Format"; the DX manual simply refers to such files as "header files" because they only describe data, but do not contain any. When you use the Data Prompter (option "General Array Format") for importing data, it will ask for your data file's structure and create such a header file. Alternatively, you can write one yourself -- e.g. using cut&paste from my former email. For own attempts, the following might help:
   http://opendx.npaci.edu/docs/html/pages/qikgu028.htm

As I mentioned, you can supply the Import module with the name of such an input file, but have to change the "format" input to "general" to tell the module about the given file's non-standard format. To sum it up: You will have a DX net ('visual program') whose Import module refers to a .general file, which in turn refers to your data table (.csv with commas replaced by spaces).