I have been working with openDX for along time, and a topic which often comes up on this group is how to make periodic boundary conditions on a dataset, so that (for example) latitude, longitude data can be properly wrapped to be continuous. I know the canonical solution, which is to extend the data by one row or column with the contents of the first row or column.

This has often seemed inelegant to me, given the amount of juggling it takes in VPE networks to achieve, and the fact that this is easy to handle in the DX data model in theory.

I am wondering if any of the active developers here have a read on how hard it would be to extend the 'gridconnections' objects to allow a flag for periodicity in each dimension, so that the gridconnection would wrap back at the end. Doing this directly in the core of openDX would allow the very efficient computations which gridconnections permit (Map, etc.) to be carried out in the very common periodic case.

Any thoughts?

Marcus Mendenhall
Vanderbilt University FEL Center