On 08/13/2014 07:49 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014, Peter A. Bigot <p...@pabigot.com <mailto:p...@pabigot.com>> wrote:

    On 08/13/2014 05:05 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

        On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Peter A. Bigot

            In any case, Khem can you run with this?  It'd be fixed a
            lot better that
            way....

        We do not configure target gcc with right matching cpu defaults,
        atomic instruction strex/ldrex are only added after armv6 but
        defaults
        for gcc if not specified is armv5t and hence it does not use
        the right
        set as expected by libstdc++ which has been cross compiled. so
        while
        you are at it and can reproduce it. Try to add

        EXTRA_OECONF += '${@bb.utils.contains("TUNE_FEATURES", "armv7a", "
        --with-cpu=armv7-a", "", d)}'

        to gcc-target.inc and see if resulting gcc is any better

    I had to make it:

    EXTRA_OECONF += '${@bb.utils.contains("TUNE_FEATURES", "armv7a",
    "--with-cpu=generic-armv7-a", "", d)}'

Sorry a typo there you   need  --with-arch

OK, that works. So do we need to do the same thing for every TUNE_FEATURES element that ends up changing the value of -march= in TUNE_CCARGS which ends up getting passed into gcc-runtime?

If so would it be better to add a TUNE_ARCH setting to all the tune-foo.inc files and use that in both TUNE_CCARGS and the --with-arch= flag passed to gcc? Just to avoid having this stuff hidden inside gcc-target.inc where it's pretty obscure.

to get gcc to build but at runtime I then get:

    beaglebone[16]$ g++ -std=c++11 -pthread test.cc && ./a.out
    Assembler messages:
    Error: unknown cpu `generic-armv7-a'
    Error: unrecognized option -mcpu=generic-armv7-a

    which indicates the flag's being passed to the assembler which
    doesn't recognize it even though g++ is happy with it.  I suppose
    we could hack binutils to substitute whatever spelling it wants to
    see.

    (Also tried --with-cpu=arm7, but that generates assembler errors
    related to unsupported RM mode "bx lr").

    The approach bothers me, though.  Instead of explicitly changing
    gcc-target to match gcc-runtime, shouldn't it be a general rule
    that gcc-runtime not apply OE-specific target flags that aren't
    going to be used by direct invocations of the compiler outside of
    the OE build environment?  That seems a little more robust, as the
    default target flags may be changed upstream or by bbappends
    within OE, and having to make them match in gcc-runtime as well
    would be a headache.

Just to record one reason why this isn't trivial: although it's possible to strip ${TARGET_CC_ARCH} from ${CXX}, doing so removes -mfloat-abi=hard which makes gcc-runtime try to build a library that supports soft float, and the compiler didn't generate the necessary gnu/stubs-soft.h header for that.

    And would we need similar overrides for other architectures?
    There's something similar already in gcc-configure-common.inc for
    mips64.

    Peter