On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Ferdinand Gassauer <off...@chricar.at>wrote:

>  On 2014-02-19 04:59, Antony Lesuisse wrote:
>
> Thank you for clarifying this.
>
> IMO such information should be part of OpenERP Marketing activities
> towards partners and would avoid mail threads like this one
>
> The argument
> ***********
>
> 2/ OpenERP Enterprise covers custom module migration at a price of
> 800 EURO/1000 lines of code. One should check the number of lines of code per
> report but it should be something around 200 EURO to migrate a report, which
> is
> nothing. So, I don't think it's a blocking point for a migration.
> ***********
> is difficult to sell. And *"... which is nothing" *is a miss
> interpretation of the reality of the market - every cent counts. It is
> either the customer or the partner who has to pay and loses money.
> No customer who ordered webkit reports in v6 or v7 is prepared to pay
> extra migration fee during migration to v8.
> But as we learned from Antony it will not be necessary.

First of all, thanks to Antony for the comments. So basically it's the
industry standard deprecation cycle I was asking for.

Now, about Fabien comment and Ferdinand answer here:
Fabien, with all my respect, this is exactly what I call crappy marketing.
 Come on, even if you claim it's 200 euros from OpenERP SA per report,
people should consider that:

1) an offshore noob working so cheap he won't be here next year, who has no
clue at all what are the process in the company is never going to migrate
anything customized properly in the first shot.
There will need to be many iterations of tests and specifications from
specialized guys knowing the enterprise processes, ideally the guys who
guys who do the implementation, and no they don't cost 5 USD/hour, so I'm
afraid the total price isn't that low.

2) many customized reports depends on community or customized modules the
offshore noob of the day has no clue about. So what I just told about the
report applies to the extra modules to and just would rise the cost orders
of magnitudes higher than what you told (consider 20 000 lines of
localization you have no idea how it works, these kind of stuff).

3) 200 euros added to the price of OpenERP Enterprise isn't appropriate for
many countries.
That's cool if that's attractive in Switzerland or Luxembourg.

Now I can tell you that in a country like Brazil where I work this is not
attractive. You can tell it's 5x cheaper than SAP, but you know what,
exactly because of that SAP has like zero % marketshare in the SMB's here.
And I don't talk about Bolivia, Peru, African countries etc... We can
marginally sell Enterprises contracts as we do, but bare in mind that
unless you are able to reprice aggressively per territory (and that won't
apply to an offshore work hour anyway), that won't address mass market here.
So it means that with our without your service, many people should be able
to pick OpenERP and build evolution strategies that fit their economical
realities. This is usually this freedom people are looking for when they
look for an open source project.

So, Fabien, this kind of "it's only 200 euros" doesn't match any reality,
it's like the "60 euros localizations" you mention sometimes.
Anybody with more than 1 OpenERP migration experience know that perfectly
and these guys are the opinion leaders sharing their experience to the guys
entering now.
So a good marketing strategy would be not talking to them just as if they
joined yesterday.

Regards.