On 15 jun 2010, at 14:48, Ben Laenen wrote:

Erik van Blokland wrote:
Perhaps I can explain a bit about the state of support of hinting data
in UFO. It is largely due to the different ways in which TrueType
hinting can be represented and the different expectations/formats
various editors have. We're trying to avoid having to dictate what the
right way is and left it "for later" or at least for "someone more
knowledgeable"

Well, it's not exactly ambiguous how to store truetype hinting: you only need to define an xml syntax for each hinting instruction to put it in a UFO file. No idea how else you'd do this. Or what the different expectations various
editors would have.

Or a TTX dump. VTT Talk is another tool that's used for hinting with its own data. FontLab Studio has another collection of data. Each has their own proponents and users.

Erik