I'd start with a better question: what place in the modern ecosystem
should OFLB be aiming at?

When we started it, there was no TypeKit, no GFS, no half a dozen
other web fonts foundries.

What makes OFLB special today, apart from free-as-in-speech typefaces?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org