On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Tim Churches wrote:
> Richard Grainger, the head of the NHS IA, spoke at a seminar that I attended
> in Melbourne about 6 months ago. I asked him about open source, and his
> response was that he had no objections, provided there were open source
> organisations who could tender and then deliver on projects with 18 month
> delivery schedules and budgets of several hundred million pounds.
> the impression that, armed with the 6 billion pound budgetary promise from
> Tony Blair, he felt that he could, if not boil the ocean, at least part the
> sea

Tim,
  Unfortunately, it may be easier to boil the ocean than to
acquire/produce open source software.

> - that is, exert a great deal of influence on and be able to extract
> much, much better deals out of existing commercial vendors and system
> integrators.

  Whatever influence 6 billion pounds can buy - it is clearly not
_perceived_ to be enough to buy an equivalent open source deployment.
Some organizations (e.g. NHS) clearly knows the value of having an open
source infrastructure - but they may not be willing to pay for those open
source advantages (with their time and money).

Best regards,

Andrew
---
Andrew P. Ho, M.D.