That's certainly one way of looking at it!

I wonder, is there a demonstrable improvement in quality that can be
traced mback to the use of VistA or asnother HIS system. How can this
be demonstrated?

--- Ignacio Valdes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sure, but the introduction of anasthesia greatly increased the time a
>
> surgeon spent doing surgery. It also relieved tremendous suffering
> and
> greatly broadened what could be done with surgery as well as
> improving
> outcomes dramatically. The VA VistA experience with its dramatic and
> demonostrable improvement with patient outcomes is an example. A
> simplistic reply for me to this studies conclusion is: so what?
>
> -- IV
>
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 10:15:16 +0100
>   "J. Antas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > A study published at the Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. (2005
> >Jan;49(1):62-5.)
> > documents what seems to be an emerging (and rather unexpected)
> >trend:
> > Clinical IT (HIS) systems increase the time that healthcare workers
> > spend documenting their activities and not the other way around.
> >
> > One could always argue that those systems bring other advantages to
>
> >the
> > patient and to the care providers, but the fact still remains: they
>
> >take
> > extra time from the healthcare providers and we should be aware of
> >that.
> >
> > The article "Does the implementation of a clinical information
> >system
> > decrease the time intensive care nurses spend on documentation of
> > care?", by Saarinen K, Aho M. of the Department of Intensive Care
> > Medicine, Seinajoki Central Hospital, Seinajoki, Finland, reports:
> >
> > "BACKGROUND: The number of intensive care units (ICU) using a
> >clinical
> > information system (CIS) is increasing. It is believed that
> >replacing
> > manual charting with an automatic documentation system allocates
> >nurses
> > more time for patient care. The objective of this study was to
> >measure
> > changes in nurses' working time utilization after the
> implementation
> >of
> > a CIS in a polyvalent ICU of a large Finnish central hospital.
> >METHODS:
> > An activity analysis-based comparison of the ICU nurses' working
> >time
> > utilization before and after the implementation of a CIS.
> > .../...
> > CONCLUSIONS: After the implementation of a CIS, an increase in the
> >time
> > nurses spent on documentation of care was detected, which suggests
> > need for further development of the system. As all the measured
> time
> > changes were relatively small, any plans to reduce the ICU staff
> >number
> > with the aid of computers were not justified."
> >
> > Source URL:
> > http://e-healthexpert.org/node/120
> >
> > Links:
> > PMID: 15675984 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] , "Does the
> [...]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15675984&dopt=Abstract

A practical man is a man who practices the errors of his forefathers.
--Benjamin Disraeli
====
Greg Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]