James,

Here is a quick review of how past sponsorship of past events came about:

Meeting 1 - Rome - Bud Bruegger, one of the founders of OSHCA, was working on an open source lab project for a joint FAO/IAEA initiative. Bud's clients provided meeting space and refreshments....attendees covered their own expenses.

Meeting 2 - London - Colin Smith who at the time was with the UK NHS Information Authority invited me to brief the CEO and executive team on the subject of open source in health....during the discussion of next steps, sponsorship of the next OSHCA meeting was adopted

Meeting 3 - UCLA Los Angeles - Mike McCoy attended the London meeting, someone mentioned that Mike was interested in hosting a meeting, I approached Mike at the meeting and asked if he would commit to hosting which he did

Meeting 4 - Geneva - Dr. Osmand Ratib of UCLA invited Dr. Antoine Geissbuhler from the Univ. Hosp. of Geneva to the LA meeting. Antoine was considering hosting the next meeting and confirmed after attending UCLA's OSHCA event.

As for 2006, what I think is realistic is a "seed meeting". One possibility that comes to mind is the Mednet meeting in Toronto in October. I live in Toronto and know have collaborated with local organizers before.....will drop them a line and see if they might be interested in having an "OSHCA open source workshop".

Joseph

James Busser wrote:

On Mar 18, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Joseph Dal Molin wrote:

 > the critical success factors
 > for successful OSHCA meetings so far have been:
 >
 > - a local sponsor/champion eg. Mike McCoy and Colin Smith (Los Angles
 > and London)
 > - champion(s) and well connected organizing committee in OSCHA

Anyone have contacts/ideas for potential sponsor/champions in Brisbane?

To what can we credit the past sponsorship/championing of Mike McCoy and Colin Smith?

Maybe if we understand that, it will help to sustain & reproduce it.