Robert,

I think Tomas is right, load your thumbnails on demand when updateItem is called for an item with missing thumbnail. You say that the cell of a visible item gets reused for another item. If that is the case I guess that the item is "moved" to another cell. Wouldn't it be possible to have an image property on your items and the lazy loading is done on the item, triggered when the item is passed to updateItem of any cell? That should trigger the demand-loading and it would be robust against the tableview exchanging cells for individual items.

As to the question when to start or stop lazy loading for items, I would add the load-demands to a stack. Each time the image for a new item is requested it is put to the top of the stack and you have one or more threads processing items on the stack (LIFO). An an image is requested which is already on the stack move it to the top of the stack. If an item is removed from a cell remove it from the stack. That should do it.

Werner