ok answering my own question it is quite simple using setFitWidth/setFitHeight already today.

ImageView renderingView ....

renderingView.setFitWidth(width / scaleFactor);
renderingView.setFitHeight(height / scaleFactor);

I already tested that before sending out this mail but unfortunately it did not work because I had a reflection effect on the parent node and it took the whole day to track down that I run a bug with the Reflection-Effect I documented at [1].

Tom