On 11/20/20 1:52 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
> Paul B. Henson wrote:
>> On 11/19/2020 1:37 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
>>
>>> This would require that you actually read and process the proxy header
>>> immediately after the accept call. It strikes me that this is the wrong
>>> thing to do, if you also want to support TLS.
>>
>> Unless I'm misunderstanding the specification, that is the only way it would
>> work. The TLS negotiation, barring TLS interception by the proxy, is between
>> the
>> client and the backend server, not between the proxy and the backend server.
>
> Yes, I understand that any TLS session initiated by the client is only
> between the
> client and the proxy server.

No, this is not necessarily the case. HA proxy can act as
application-level proxy for some protocols (IIRC HTTP and SMTP) or as a
TCP relay.

Paul mentioned the latter case where slapd is the TLS server end-point
also from the client's perspective and HA proxy does *not* break up TLS
connection.

Ciao, Michael.