oh well,

seems as if either we did miss something or assume something is working which
indeed is not. Unfortunately, we will have to work step-by-step.

  Let's see whether we can log into cyrus-imapd without any customizations.
Please revert your /etc/pam.d/imap to the one which shipped with your
distribution and repeat logging in by cyradm. That way we can exclude your
Cyrus compilation/installation itself.

-- Mark