Hi,

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:00:04PM +0800, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Paul Fertser <fercer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Freddie,
> >
> > Today my coworker called me complaining he can't use OpenOCD on his
> > Windows XP (yeah, lame!) with an Olimex adapter.
>
> So you are talking about the Windows binary provided by Freddie,
> right?

Yes, sure. And he has a "drivers" subdirectory in his 7zip archive
with libusb-win32 drivers plus a text file with some instructions for
using Zadig.

> > In the end it appeared he was confused by all the possible driver
> > options (and I can easily see it happening with the other regular
> > users too).
>
> Once you use Zadig, there will be less confusion.

My coworker still managed to keep installing libusb-win32 even with
Zadig even knowing he doesn't need libusb-0.1 support but libusb-1.0
(I told him what I knew but it wasn't obvious for him that
libusb-win32 provides only libusb-0.1 support and winusb driver is
what he's after).

> > So my untested proposal for the future windows OpenOCD releases is to:
> >
> > 1. Remove all libusb-win32 files from the distribution archive;
> >
> > 2. Compile OpenOCD using libusb-compat for those drivers that are not
> > ported to libusb-1.x or the common layer yet;
>
> Take note there is no libusb-compat under Windows, only
> libusb-win32.

Eh, now that's strange. I was sure libusb-compat is a thin emulation
layer to allow using libusb-0.1 API by translating them to libusb-1.x
calls, so I wasn't aware of any reasons it might not work under
windows.

> > 3. State in the drivers readme that if one is using stlink and has
> > vendor's drivers installed he doesn't need anything extra;
>
> I believe that is for ST-Link V2 only.

Good point.

> > 4. Rephrase the Zadig installation instructions a bit to make it more
> > clear for the non-native speakers that WinUSB driver _must_ be used
> > for all the USB adapters (and either do not mention libusb-win32 at
> > all or prohibit installing it :) )
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> You still can not use WinUSB for those who want to use
> libusb-0.1/libusb-win32.

I had high hopes for libusb-compat. Why doesn't it work on windows?

> An option is to use libusbK driver (Zadig supports WinUSB,
> libusbK and libusb-win32 device driver) which will work for
> both libusb-win32 and libusb-1.0/libusbx.

Hmm...

> BTW, a good news is that libusb/libusbx will be merging
> again. Peter Stuge is too busy so that Nathan takes over
> the libusb project and now libusb/libusbx will merge again.

Wishing all the best to everybody involved, and long live libusb :)

mailto:fercer...@gmail.com