Hi all,

In tandem to perpetual tactical quality-improvement release goals, the
OpenOCD community will be pursuing strategic development goals that lead
to special "milestone" releases.  As this indicates, I think such
planning should be decoupled from the release process, in so far as we
should be able to allow up to N intermediate releases to be produced for
each of the M milestones that may fall out of The List.

Given the scope of our ambitions and resources, I think effective
milestone planning for this community might best first revolve around
the major releases, allowing as many regular releases as necessary to
guide the code in the proper direction.  If we adopt a rigorous, the
question for organizing milestones should be:  how long should we wait
between _major_ version releases?  My feeling would be: as long (or as
little) as it takes.

Thus, this takes less precedence over the release process itself for the
short term.  Nevertheless, I hope this thread can be used by someone as
the launching pad for identifying the strategic goals that we should be
thinking about for 0.3.0 (which I consider the next major release).

Cheers,

Zach Welch
Corvallis, OR