On Tuesday 01 December 2009, Zach Welch wrote:

> > > Not everyone wants to run GDB, and not all segfaults can be predicted.
> >
> > Any developer who's not willing to run GDB to catch a fault ...
> > take them out back behind the woodshed and "bugfix" them!  ;)
>
> If they _can_ catch it, sure.  However, you're now talking about doing
> harm to the messengers.  That's highly counterproductive.  Asking
> someone to do extra work that could have been avoided is crap attitude.

I'm actually talking hyperbole.  And as for "extra work" ... it's
something of a question about *who* does the work.  Person seeing
a problem?  Motivated to resolve it.  Everyone else?  ... not.

> > No end user should ever see segfaults, or any other flavor of
> > rude/unexpected exit.  If they see one that's quite a major
> > bug in the code.
>
> I reiterate my principle point: heisenbugs.  The code is not yet pretty
> enough for me to feel that this handler will never be exercised in
> unpredictable contexts, nor do I feel our processes have yet reached a
> point where we can prevent adding such triggers in the future.

And what better way to make sure we improve our processes than
to stop buying band-aids to apply over spurting wounds?  :)
(Hyperbole again, it's late.)