You're right -- my mistake. The web page says: "ARM-JTAG-EW emulates on low
level the IAR Systems' J-LINK API so it works like normal J-LINK debugger,
..." I took this to mean that they were emulating the USB protocol.

But a footnote in the manual says --

"DLL compatible means that we supply our own jlinkarm.dll. The original
IAR-EW DLL will not work with the ARM-JTAG-EW device because ARM-JTAG-EW and
IAR J-Link use different USB protocols."

So that explains that then.

The Olimex manual mentions SWD in the pinout table, so perhaps they have the
necessary hardware already. Might give it a shot with libswd but I need to
get moving on this project ..