Guys/Gals,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Maxim Sobolev, I am long-term
follower of the open source/free software movement. For me it all
started around 1996, with involvement in FreeBSD operating system, first
as a contributor and later on as a official member of the project with
write access to the code repository.

In 2002 my focus has shifted to VoIP (SIP mostly), and shortly after
that I obtained write access to the SER, SEMS and Vovida open source
projects. Among other things I am the author of the SER's nathelper
module and RTP Proxy add-on for the SER. Also, I have written my own SIP
stack and B2BUA in Python, which is now being used in several
carrier-grade products powering few hundreds VoIP providers all over the
globe. The stack and B2BUA is to be released under GPL license really soon.

We've been using the Asterisk in various projects during the past 4
years, as a result have accumulated significant amount of patches over
the period. Unfortunately, merging back patches into Asterisk was never
been an easy task since Digium wanted to keep IP rights for themselves
and they were pretty unresponsive to external contributions.

That's why I think OpenPBX is a brilliant idea. There are several big
pieces of work that readily could be merged into OpenPBX, which are
currently kinda rotting with the mainstream asterisk moving to 1.4 (i.e.
BRI support, codec negotiation support, some SIP protocol fixes etc).

For example please see:

http://people.freebsd.org/~fjoe/public_distfiles/asterisk-1.2.7.1-bristuff-0.3.0-PRE-1p.patch.gz
http://unofficial.portaone.com/~bamby/public/asterisk-1.2.12.1-codec-negotiation-20061009.diff.gz
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/asterisk/files/

In addition, we are currently working on powerful IVR/TTS Python
framework for the asterisk, which is also to be released as GPL in the
next three to six months. It is really good for the purposes of rapid
development of advanced IVR scripts. It has been ported to the OpenPBX
already and could potentially become part of the distribution.

If possible I would like to have two repository accounts for myself (aka
sobomax) and for Andriy Pylypenko (aka bamby), who is the author of the
well-known codec negotiation patch for asterisk. Potentially I could
bring onboard few other fellow developers working for various
commercial entities involving asterisk (i.e. fjoe author or BRI patch
and gonzo author of the Zaptel port to FreeBSD). All of us are
interested in having open and high-performance IVR/switching/gateway
platform not controlled by the single commercial entity.

Please let me know what do you think. I think that the co-operation will
be beneficial for all parties.

Thanks!

Regards,

Maxim