>I was giving openpkg a test run on one of my sol9 boxes and found something that
>seems to be some kind of bug..
>
>i installed the bootstrap as instructed but with different path, something like
>this:
>
>setenv opkg_root /opt/cw
>sh openpkg*.sh --prefix=/opt/cw
> [...]
Jani,
something must have gone wrong. OpenPKG definitely supports multiple
instances and does not requite /cw in any way. Every package that is
build from source might receive pathes being hardcoded into files from
that instance. That is what you have seen in the <prefix>/etc/rc.d/*
files. If you want to use the same package in multiple instances you
will have to build it multiple times using the correct rpm for each
build. Packages are usually not relocateable. Not using the correct rpm
is the number one issue for OpenPKG adminsitrators. Please note that the
binaries available for download from the OpenPKG ftp site are build for
/cw and can only be used there. They are provided for bootstrapping
purposes (i.e. not having gcc on Solaris) and emergency cases where
packages must be available quickly (i.e. having openssh available soon
after a crash recovery). You are free to build your own binaries for
prefixes of your choice. This requires an OpenPKG instance at the prefix
of your choice which is supported by building OpenPKG from a shell
script (as you don't have OpenPKG available at the desired prefix at the
time of creating OpenPKG for the prefix, eh) by just providing the
--prefix=/my/desire option. This bootstrapping process requires
development tools. Being a Solaris user you are already a candidate
which could benefit from the provided binaries as it is unlikely that
you have a C compiler available. So my suggestions for you is to try:

1.) get a C compiler for solaris. Use any option you like, the OpenPKG
    way of doing it is to use the prebuild binaries which *are* locked
    to /cw

- fetch
ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/release/1.1/BIN/solaris-9/openpkg-1.1.0-1.1.0.sparc64-solaris2.9-cw.sh
- fetch
ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/release/1.1/BIN/solaris-9/gcc-3.2-1.1.0.sparc64-solaris2.9-cw.rpm

- avoid filling up your root filesystem
# mkdir /bigfilesystem/OpenPKG-bootstrap
# ln -s /bigfilesystem/OpenPKG-bootstrap /cw

- bootstrap the prebuild OpenPKG and gcc binaries to /cw
# sh openpkg-1.1.0-1.1.0.sparc64-solaris2.9-cw.sh
# /cw/bin/rpm -Uvh gcc-3.2-1.1.0.sparc64-solaris2.9-cw.rpm

- make this gcc available in your shell path
# eval `/cw/etc/rc --eval all env`

2.) install as many new OpenPKG instances as you like by starting from
    scratch (which needs development tools like gcc which you now have
    readily available)

- have lots of space (250-500MB) available in $TMP or redirect using
  "TMPDIR=/bigfilesystem/tmp; export TMPDIR"

- follow the instructions for bootstrapping a new OpenPKG instance from
  source listed on http://www.openpkg.org/tutorial.html#bootstrap-source

- use anything you like as prefix but not /cw (it would collide with
  your existing instance)

REMEMBER: always use the correct rpm for doing your maintenance jobs
# /cw/bin/rpm -qa
# /usr/opkg/bin/rpm -qa
both lines will act on different instances!

3.) remove the prebuild binary stuff. It is no longer needed if you are
    ready with building or have a C compiler available available from
    somewhere else (OpenPKG ...)

# /cw/bin/rpm -e rpm openpkg
# rm -rf /bigfilesystem/OpenPKG-bootstrap /cw

Have fun!

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Development Team, Application Services, Cable & Wireless Deutschland GmbH