On Thu, Aug 18, 2005, Doug Summers wrote:

> (On AIX) Running into a problem with terminals not being recognized with
> tcsh but working with bash. ldd is reporting the following:
>
> ldd /openpkg/bin/tcsh
> /openpkg/bin/tcsh needs:
>          /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
>          /usr/lib/libtermcap.a(shr.o)
>          /unix
>          /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
>
> /openpkg/bin/bash needs:
>          /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
>          /usr/lib/libcurses.a(shr42.o)
>          /usr/lib/libdl.a(shr.o)
>          /unix
>          /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
>
> Switching to tcsh returns this:
>
> # tcsh
> tcsh: No entry for terminal type "xterm"
> tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
>
> One thing I noticed during the build of tcsh was a warning during
> configure that may point to what's going on:
>
> + cd /openpkg/RPM/TMP
> + cd tcsh-6.14.00
> + /openpkg/lib/openpkg/shtool subst -e 's;termlib curses termcap;termcap
> termlib curses ncurses;' configure
> shtool:subst:Warning: substitution resulted in no content change on file
> "configure"

This substitution I've now removed. But your problems seems to be that
there is no "xterm" entry in /etc/termcap while curses uses termlib
and termlib has an "xterm" entry file under AIX. But retry with the
latest "tcsh" version from CURRENT: it prefers termlib before termcap
and should implicitly solve this problem, too.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com