On Fri, Aug 19, 2005, Doug Summers wrote:
>I need to move the 3 Openpkg ID's from 1000-1002 to 700-702 (names are
>staying the same). Will this cause a problem down the road when I build
>new packages? Obviously I need to change all of the UID's but I'm
>concerned new package builds will use the old UID's and not the new ones.

I don't think that's an issue as all references to these are by
name, not by uid/gid.

One consideration though is when changing the uid/gid of installed
packages, if you have any setuid or setgid programs, running on a resonably
secure version if *nix, the setuid or setgid bits will be cleared when the
ownership is changed.  To preserve these, you need to stat() the original
file to get the mode, then do a chmod() after the chown().

Bill

``Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within
the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and
always so when it violates the rights of the individual.''
    -Thomas Jefferson