On Thu, Dec 01, 2005, Doug Summers wrote:

> I've gotten past the build problems with OpenPKG 2.5 and have
> successfully built make, m4, & binutils. However, I'm having problems
> with most of the other packages (tested bison, libiconv, & gcc) that all
> die here:
>
> ar cru liby.a main.o yyerror.o
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yylsp' in load module
> '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yyolsp' in load module
> '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yyfnd' in load module
> '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yytextuc' in load
> module '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yylenguc' in load
> module '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yylstate' in load
> module '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yyprevious' in load
> module '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yytextarr' in load
> module '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> /usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unsatisfied data symbol 'yyextra' in load module
> '/usr/lib/hpux32/libl.so.1'.
> make[3]: *** [liby.a] Killed
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> + exit 2
> error: Bad exit status from /syscfg/opkg/RPM/TMP/rpm-tmp.26420

Hmmm.. interesting. An "ar" call should never try to really _resolve_
any external symbols. I'm totally puzzled why you get should DSO
resolving errors.

> It doesn't matter if I remove binutils and use the system's ar.

You mean you get exactly the same error? I personally think the
above occurs if you use the "ar" from OpenPKG "binutils" because its
<prefix>/bin/ar was not linked correctly. If the system "ar" also gives
those errors it has to be related the its "ar" operation and not the
"ar" executable. OTOH I do not understand why any "ar" operation tries
to fiddle around with external DSOs at all...

Can you give more information, especially the outputs of the following
particular commands:

$ touch sample.o
$ ldd <prefix>/bin/ar
$ <prefix>/bin/ar
$ <prefix>/bin/ar cru sample.a sample.o
$ ldd /usr/bin/ar
$ /usr/bin/ar
$ /usr/bin/ar cru sample.a sample.o

I cannot believe that both result in the same errors related to external
DSOs. I would expect that perhaps <prefix>/bin/ar results in them. But
at least the system "ar" should be totally quiet on the above commands.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com