On Fri, Dec 16, 2005, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> [...]
> Note that there is some competition between OpenPKG and the operating
> system vendors. This is a problem for customers. They want to have
> a tested Linux (the kernel) and core technologies (like libc,
> filesystem) with certification for a hardware. Now RedHat, Mandriva or
> Novell are charging for this _and_ the applications, like Postfix.
>
> So if I buy Redhat and then use OpenPKG, I am paying for something that I do
> not use, and would like to pay OpenPKG for. Just additionally paying for
> OpenPKG makes this far more expensive of course.
>
> It is not easy to solve this.

Yes, good catch. You're fully right, because of the stand-alone and
self-contained approach of OpenPKG some (already paid) parts of the
underlying OS are no longer needed. That's a problem but that's the
price of being a cross-platform solution. What is totally missing on one
OS (e.g. Solaris ;-) is already available, even in a dozend variants,
on another OS (e.g. Linux). I know this "problem" since the early days
of OpenPKG, but it inherently cannot be solved, I think.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com