Turns out I needed to add this magical line to the main.cf file:

disable_dns_lookups = yes

I must have stumbled upon some older (or incorrect) information, which said
the setting was the shorter disable_dns = yes.

Thanks for your inputs!

-later

On 13 Dec 2006 19:25:45 +0100, Simon J Mudd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Doug Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm trying to setup what I thought was an easy email system.  I have two
> offline computers, and I want to simply send SMTP traffic back and
forth.  I
> have tried postfix, sendmail, and exim.  I am missing something very
> fundamental because I get the same error with all three.  I can send
email
> locally on both machines, which of course works pretty much out of the
box.
> When I try to send mail to the other computer, I always get a bounced
email
> stating "Unrouteable address".  This is my setup: two computers named
comp1
> and comp2, running one of the MTAs mentioned above and mailx command
line
> mail tool.
>
> on comp1:
> --------------
> echo "test" | mail -s "test" [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ## works
> echo "test" | mail -s "test" [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ## fails
>

> on comp2:
> --------------
>
> echo "test" | mail -s "test" [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ## fails
> echo "test" | mail -s "test" [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ## works
>
> I have researched and found the usual options for disabling dns lookup,
but
> I still get the same error.
>
> I have tried the following under postfix:
> * disable_dns = yes
> * setting mynetworks to include my network/mask
>
> I have tried the following under exim:
> * removed host_lookup entry
> * added sender_unqualified_hosts and recipient_unqualified_hosts entries
> * tried ignore_target_hosts entry
>
> Under sendmail there was a ACCEPT_UNQUALIFIED_?? entry that could be
> defined.
>
> Does anyone else have any information I can use to simply send emails
> between two computers?

This is probably better addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but ...

Without seeing your config (postconf -n) it is difficult to know what
you are doing.  Postfix prefers to use "real addresses" and real FQDNs
and what you are seeing is probably a vestige of trying to use
incomplete hostnames.

Postfix also uses DNS (indirectly through the system resolver). It
does not explicitly check /etc/hosts or the DNS so things like
nsswitch.conf may make a big difference in how the resolver works and
what happens.

Again without logs (/var/log/maillog) of the failed attempts and the
postconf -n output (and the version of postfix you are using) it's
hard to help any more.

But also check myhostname, myorigin and as Ralf said the transport
maps (which don't work I think for top level domains [normally com,
org, net, but in your case comp1, comp2, ...]).

Use FQDNs and use DNS and you'll find postfix works out of the box
without almost no configuration.

Simon