eduellery wrote:
> Good evening mates,
>
> I'm in a desperate need for a pkcs-15 der encoded private key. I read the
> pkcs#15 spec in a sit and tried to edit, byte-per-byte a private key based
> on my poor knowledge of ASN1. I don't have a SC reader. I want it generated
> on a binary file.
>
> I generated a rsa/2048 key using openssl. Then I created a pkcs-15
> private-key structure and inserted the modulus, exponents, etc. in the
> corresponding fields.

Then what did you do with the file?

> The ASN1 viewer opened the key, so it seems to be correct - no error in the
> lengths or something like it. But the key doesn't work when I try to get the
> modulus or exponents from it using the pkcs#11 tool that I have and that
> acts like a black box to me.

You said you don't have a reader, but you do have a PKCS#11. So what does
this PKCS#11 do to acesss PKCS#15? Is this all software? Are you trying to
simulate a specific card?

> Could you please help me? I need a functional pkcs-15 private key and I
> can't stand one more night changing the bits and testing it!

What do you mean by functional?

Normally the private key is NOT readable, and maybe that is what you are seeing,
PKCS#11 or PJCS15 is treating it as private.  With a card you don't read the
private
key, you tell the card to perform some crypto operation using the key on the
card.

On many cards there is also a coresponding public key, that is readable.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Argonne National Laboratory