Since no-one answered this, I can give my 0.02SEK. :)

Splitting the rendering is probably the way to go. Use two cameras with
identical beacons but different near/far planes. That way, you'll avoid
checking node's distances and so on. OpenSG will do the frustum culling
automatically (assuming you haven't disabled it.)

Use two viewports (one for each camera), one in the back for further
geometry and the next one for closer. The nearest-viewport should have a
background that only erases the depth-buffer, not the color buffer.
(This is possible in several ways. I don't know if there is a out-of-the
box background for it. If not, one way is to go with a
PolygonBackground, use a custom material that has colormask set to all
false.)

I don't know the optimal 'middle plane' distance but I expect it to be
in the "logarithmic average" of your desired near/far-planes. (i.e if
you want 1 and 10000 the middle would be around 100). However, some
gfx-vendors might employ magic tricks on z-buffer precision so your
milage may vary. :)

I've never used OpenSGNav nor vrjuggler, so I don't know if that impedes
my suggestion.

Cheers,
/Marcus