Yeah, we could have done that in theory. In practice, we're all still
fairly ignorant when it comes to using git, and we've all had close
encounters with git disasters. Melanie is the one keeping branches in
sync, she has spent a lot of time resolving conflicts by hand, helping
out the messes we get into, etc. She can do that with one branch but
not with many... so until several of us learn how to deal with git
errors effectively, it's not wise to multiply branches. We'll learn as
we go, and hopefully we'll get better at using git.