On 31/08/10 15:53, d...@metaverseink.com wrote:
Hurliman, John wrote

2) Standardize the handling of external identities in OpenSim. Go
through and clean out the approaches that are no longer being used,
such as OpenSim.Framework.Communications.Osp. I can help with this
part as I'm always a fan of removing dead code.

That's the only broad consequence of this issue, and one that I also
feel it's very important. I know these global names have been used
before -- or maybe never used, but the code is there -- and, even though
I didn't remember the syntax, I remembered that it looked nothing like
an URI. Thanks, Justin, for explaining. If everyone is ok with the URI
syntax, then let's make it consistent across the board.

Parts of the OSP code will need to remain since they will always be required to load V0.1 IARs. I would also rather keep the inventory plugin wrapping bits of now as I feel they could be a useful implementation pointer in the future. However, the code could be moved to the IAR module since it won't be generally used in the future.

If you're looking to cleanup dead code, I suggest that you look at things such as the stub Sirikata client plugin and the SVN and Content Management System modules. No offense to the creators, but some of these have never progressed beyond stubs and are clutter. The two modules still compile but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't work any longer due to bit rot. The fact that they haven't been maintained means that they're good candidates for removal unless someone wants to support them.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: opensim-dev-boun...@lists.berlios.de [mailto:opensim-dev-
boun...@lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of d...@metaverseink.com
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 3:39 PM
To: opensim-dev@lists.berlios.de
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Global identifiers

OK, so here's the form of the URI that will start showing up in the
[non-Simian] DBs soon, specifically in the GridUser table:
http://authority/user/user_id/First+Last

Yes?

I suspect that SimianGrid will take things like
LoggedIn(string userID) and
StoreGridUserInfo(GridUserInfo info)

and create user accounts for these if they don't exist, because I think
SimanGrid collapses the 2 concepts. Just keep in mind that you'll soon
be receiving URLs of the form above as arguments.

I agree with Melanie that not adding the display name is a missed
opportunity for caching, but I'm willing to write up code that accounts
for it being optional for all the grid operators who would rather have
the extra lookups coming their way.

Hurliman, John wrote:
If we are still on the same page, there should never be a case where
something could be either a local identifier (UUID) or a global
identifier (URL). The context is always clear, where cross-grid
communication and exported content uses only global identifiers and all
intra-grid communication uses only local identifiers. If a sim wants to
resolve the creator of a prim it uses a single path, the UUID->Profile
(aka display name) API call which takes advantage of all the caching
and optimizations we've built into OpenSim. There is no ambiguity there
or potential for the code to take a slower or less tested path. The
discussion is about communication outside of the local grid context,
when you are exporting content or moving people or content between
grids. In every use case there I think it makes sense to always use
global identifiers, or at least a clear path to build a global
identifier.
John