Because REST is cleaner and more modularized than RPC. Just compare
the code and you will see that. Efficiency is achieved by designing
the REST calls intelligently. The /asset/ endpoint for instance can
benefit from keep-alive because it supports HEAD/GET?POST so
multiple operations can reuse the connection.
The exists query is orthogonal to that and should be another request
endpoint.

Melanie