Standard disclaimer, IANAG (I Am Not A Googler):

As I understand it, user preferences are an iGoogleism, and,
generally speaking, will not be supported in most OpenSocial
containers.  I've heard  reports that they work in Orkut, but, unless
we here otherwise from the powers that be, you shouldn't depend on them.

Of course, at the moment, data storage support in most containers is
pretty, well, uh, FAIL.  Plaxo *MAY* have a working data storage
implementation, but it would be great if someone could verify this.

                                (Dan)