Use Case: A user adds a Gadget to iGoogle and instantly (because they
are already logged in) gets access to private storage through a 3rd
party server.

In other words:  I need to take requests from a gadget running in
iGoogle, and validate that the request is from a valid Google
account.

So, my Gadget would have to obtain some kind of token from Google.
Except, I need only a login token.  I'm not after contacts, docs,
etc... Just the fact that the user is logged in.  That token needs to
go to my Servlet where the Servlet will validate with Google that the
token is a valid.  I would catch the results for future requests.

I know it must be easy.  I have a working Step2 (http://
code.google.com/p/step2) installation, so I'm thinking that could be
used.

If we can work this out, it would open the door to real stateful
secure gadgets that have no registration requirements would actually
be very useful.