I have the same problem.  I've developed an example Java project for
Orkut using OpenSocial, where I can get my data, but I need to get
available PUBLIC data from anyone in the social network.  I looked
into opensocial-java-client documentation and over the Internet but
the only way I found to get data is querying the application viewer/
owner or using the User ID of a joinned user ( i.e.
PeopleService.getUser(ID) ).

So, my question is:  Is there any way to get the User ID of ANY user??
If not, is there any way to query data from users who don't use my
gadget??

Thanks in advance.